1. What is a Sender ID?
Sender ID is the name that appears as the message sender of an SMS message on the recipient’s device. Sender IDs are a useful way to identify yourself to recipients of your messages.
Support for sender ID varies by country. For example, carriers in the United States and Canada don't support sender IDs, whereas carriers in India require their use.
Sender IDs are classified as one of two types.
- Dynamic sender ID: Customers can start sending messages with custom sender IDs immediately in countries that support dynamic sender ID. Simply enable the geo permission for that country through your Plivo console.
- Preregistered sender ID: Follow these steps to request a sender ID in countries that require preregistration.
- Sign in to the Plivo console.
- Navigate to Messaging > Sender IDs.
- Click the Register Sender ID button.
- Click on the Preregistration option. You'll see a list of countries along with the cost and review times involved for registration.
- Select the countries from the list where you wish to be registered.
- Fill out other details: SMS use case, preferred sender ID, sample message, business website, etc.
- Attach the documents required for the registration and click Request Sender ID.
- Following a review, you'll be assigned a sender ID that you can use to send messages to customers in preregistration countries.
2. What's the difference between dynamic sender ID and preregistered sender ID?
Customers can start sending messages with sender IDs immediately in countries that support dynamic sender ID. Simply enable the geo permission for that country through your Plivo console.
For countries that require preregistration, you must go through additional steps to get set up. Recurring charges vary depending on the country of registration.
3. Which countries support dynamic sender ID?
Here is the list of countries that support dynamic sender ID.
4. Which countries require a preregistered sender ID?
Here is the list of countries that support preregistered sender ID. Along with basic information about the company, preregistration requires document submission. You may incur recurring charges for each sender ID you register. Click here for a list of countries with cost and time details required for preregistration.
5. Why do I have to preregister a sender ID?
The telecommunication laws of certain countries mandate sender ID registration for the protection of consumers and companies. You must register your sender ID to represent your brand or company name, and to help monitor and prevent SMS fraud.
6. What's the process for sender ID registration?
To set up a sender ID, submit your request by completing the registration form in your console (see question 1). You can select one or multiple countries at once depending on your business needs. Once the request is approved, the sender ID will be set up for your account.
7. What are the requirements for registration of the sender ID?
The common requirements when submitting a sender ID registration request are:
- SMS use case — promotional or transactional
- Preferred alphanumeric sender ID
- Sample message
- Your company name
- Company website
For preregistration, you may be required to submit additional documents depending on the country. For example, in Indonesia, you must submit a Letter of Authorization (LOA) that authorizes Plivo to register and send branded messages on your behalf.
8. How much does sender ID registration cost?
For countries that don't require preregistration, sender ID registration is free and instant. Countries that require preregistration have varying charges to get set up.
In the countries that support preregistration, some customers are subject to an additional $25 setup fee exclusive of carrier charges per country.
9. How does sender ID help in highlighting the brand name?
The sender ID represents your brand or company name, distinguishing it from a million others and defining your brand to your customers. Branding your SMS messages allows you to make an instant connection with your customer or client. Your message is more likely to be opened and read, driving higher engagement with customers and improving brand recognition.
10. Are there any restrictions on selecting a sender ID?
- Enter a minimum of six characters that represent your brand identity. You can include upper- and lower-case letters, the numbers 0 - 9, and spaces.
- Include at least one letter.
- Do not use ASCII special characters (such as # or @).
- For India, the sender ID must be exactly six characters.