1. What is a Sender ID?
Sender ID is the name that appears as the message sender of an SMS message on the recipient’s device. Sender IDs are a useful way to identify yourself to the recipients of your messages.
Support for sender IDs varies by country. For example, carriers in the United States and Canada don't support sender IDs whereas carriers in India require the use of sender IDs.
Sender IDs are classified as one of two types.
- Dynamic Sender ID: Customers can start sending messages with custom sender IDs immediately in countries that support Dynamic Sender ID. Simply enable the geo-permission for that country through your Plivo Console.
- Pre-registered Sender ID: Please follow these steps to request a sender ID in countries that require pre-registration.
- Sign in to the Plivo Console
- Navigate to the Messaging tab and select the Sender ID option
- Click ‘Register Sender ID’ button
- Click on the ‘Pre-registration’ option. You will see a list of countries along with the cost and review times involved for registration.
- Select the countries from the list to which you wish to be registered
- Fill out other details: like SMS use case, preferred sender ID, sample message, business website etc.
- Attach the documents required for the registration and click ‘request sender ID’. Please note that this may vary from country to country
- Following a review, you will be assigned with a sender ID that you can use to send messages to customers in pre-registration countries
2. What is the difference between Dynamic SenderID and Pre-registered SenderID?
Customers can start sending messages with custom sender IDs immediately in countries that support Dynamic Sender ID. Simply enable the geo-permission for that country through your Plivo Console.
For countries that require pre-registration, you must go through some additional steps to get set up. Recurring charges vary depending on the country of registration.
3. Which countries support Dynamic sender ID?
Here is the list of countries that support Dynamic Sender ID.
4. Which countries require a Pre-registered sender ID?
Here is the list of countries that support Pre-registered Sender ID. Along with basic information about the company, pre-registration requires the submission of documents and will incur recurring charges for each sender ID. This may vary from country to country. Click here for the list of countries with cost and time details required for pre-registration.
5. Why is there a need to Pre-register the sender ID?
The telecommunication laws of certain countries mandate sender ID registration for the protection of consumers and companies. You must register your Sender ID to represent your brand/company name, as well as help monitor and prevent SMS fraud.
6. What is the process for sender ID registration?
To set up a sender ID, please submit your request by completing this registration form in your console. You can select one or multiple countries at once depending on your business needs. Once the request is approved, the sender ID will be set up for your account.
7. What are the requirements for registration of the sender ID?
The common requirements when submitting a sender ID registration request are:
- SMS Use case - promotional or transactional
- Preferred alphanumeric sender ID
- Sample message
- Your company name
- Company website
For pre-registration, you may be required to submit additional documents according to the country. For example, in Indonesia, you are required to submit a Letter of Appointment (LOA) that authorizes Plivo to register and send branded messages on your behalf
8. What is the pricing for sender ID registration?
For countries that do not require pre-registration, sender ID registration is free and instant. Countries that require pre-registration have varying charges to get set up. Click here to review the pricing for countries requiring pre-registration.
Please note that for registering the sender ID in the countries that support pre-registration, some customers are subject to an additional $25 setup fee exclusive of carrier charges per country.
9. How does sender ID help in highlighting the brand name?
The sender ID represents your brand/company name, distinguishing it from a million others. It plays a massive role in defining your brand to your customers. Branding your SMS messages allows you to make an instant connection with your customer or client. Your message is more likely to be opened and read, driving higher engagement with customers and improving brand recognition.
10. Are there any restrictions on selecting a sender ID?
The preferred alphanumeric sender ID must abide by the following criteria:
- Enter between 2 - 11 characters that represent the brand identity of the sender. You can include upper- and lower-case letters, the numbers 0 - 9, and spaces.
- Include at least one letter.
- Do not use ASCII special characters (e.g. #, @).
- For India, the sender ID must be exactly six characters.