Starting April 1, 2023, if the messaging volume from your toll-free numbers toward US subscribers exceeds these limits, you must verify those numbers. Messages in excess of these limits will be marked as undelivered.
Numbers that are pending verification
Toll-free numbers that have been verified are not subject to sending limits.
Message sending limits for toll-free numbers
Unverified Plivo toll-free numbers are subject to daily, weekly, and monthly sending limits.
- 2,000 messages per day
- 12,000 messages per week
- 25,000 messages per month
Note that these limits are changing on April 1, 2023 — see note above.
All messages, regardless of whether they were successfully delivered, count toward these limits. If, for example, a customer attempts to send 25,000 messages on the first of the month, the first 2,000 messages will be sent and the remaining 23,000 will be blocked because of the daily limit. However, all 25,000 messages will count toward the weekly and monthly limits. Any attempt to send more messages the following day will fail with error code 960 because of the weekly limit.
The day resets at 12:00 midnight PST, while the week resets on Sunday at 12:00 midnight PST. A month refers specifically to a calendar month.
These limits apply only to US destinations. All messages toward Canada have been required to be sent from verified numbers since October 1, 2022.
How can I submit a verification request for a toll-free number?
To submit a verification request, fill out the Plivo Toll-Free Verification form. If you can’t access the form, or you need to submit verification requests for multiple numbers, download this spreadsheet, fill out the necessary information, and create a ticket with our support team.
- The details you enter in the form should apply to the business that will be sending out the messages. This means that if you’re submitting a toll-free verification request on behalf of a customer, the form information for fields such as use case and opt-in flow should apply to the customer.
- You don’t need to provide message samples for every message you plan to send, but we recommend that you provide enough samples to be representative of most of your messaging traffic.
- Snowshoeing is strictly prohibited on toll-free numbers. If your business has a legitimate requirement for using multiple numbers for the same use case, provide a clear and detailed justification in the Use Case field.
- Any images you uploaded (for opt-in workflow, for instance) should be clear and in JPG or PNG format.
The verification process may take up to six weeks; the process is outlined in our documentation. We’re working on reducing this time.