What is a Sender ID?
Sender ID is the alpha name or alpha-numeric name or number which appears on the mobile phone as the sender of a SMS (It is used to identify who's sending the message to the recipient). Sender ID can be a number (i.e. a Mobile Phone Number) or alpha-numeric term such as PLIVO, PLVSMS.
How is Sender ID useful?
Sender ID is useful in uniquely identifying your business and helps with brand recall amongst your customers.
Why is registration required?
In some countries there is a specific restriction, where A2P messaging is allowed only when they are whitelisted (registered) with the network operators.
Also, registering your sender id in advance increases the delivery rate of your messages and reduces the chances of getting blocked by carriers.
To check the list of countries that support Sender ID, Please click here.
What is the process of registering a sender ID?
In order to register a sender ID, the below details are required:
- Sender ID requested
- Explain the use case for which the sender id will be used
- Destination Countries for which you need this sender ID
- Your Company/Business Name
- Sample message content
- Your Company/Business website
- Sender ID Expansion: For instance, PLVSMS for PLIVO SMS
Once all these details are shared with Plivo support, we get in touch with all the carriers for destination countries and work with them to register the required Sender ID. It takes approximately 10-15 business days for the registration.
What are the prerequisites/restrictions to register a Sender ID?
- Your Plivo account must have been upgraded and should be in good standing. This service is not available to customers on a free-trial account.
- Sender ID can be between 6-11 characters depending on the destination.
- Sender ID cannot contain spaces or hyphens.
- Sender ID cannot be registered for Promotional messages.
Will there be any additional charges to get the Sender ID registered?
Yes, there might be additional charges to get Sender ID registered.
To learn more about this, please click here.
If you want to register a sender ID, please raise a ticket with Plivo support using the ticketing portal. The link to access ticketing portal is https://support.plivo.com/support/home
NOTE: If Sender ID is registered for your account, please check out our Sender ID documentation for help on setting up with this feature.