- Sign up for a free Plivo trial account OR Log in to your Plivo account.
- Check out our Helper Library page and install the right helper based on the programming language you want to use.
- Buy a Plivo phone number. A phone number is required to receive and reply to SMS text messages. You can buy a Plivo phone number in over 19 countries through the Buy Numbers tab on your Plivo account UI. Check the SMS API coverage page for all the supported countries.
- Use a web hosting service to host your web application. There are many inexpensive cloud hosting providers that you can use for just a few dollars a month. Follow the instructions of your hosting provider to host your web application.
Set up a Web Server
Let’s assume your web server is located at
http://example.com. Below is a snippet to set up a route on your webserver. Now when we send an
HTTP request to
http://example.com/receive_sms this route will be invoked.
Create an Application
- Create an Application by visiting the Application Page and click on
New Applicationor by using Plivo’s Application API.
- Give your application a name. Lets call it
Receive SMS. Enter your server URL (e.g.
http://example.com/receive_sms) in the
Message URLfield and set the method as
POST. See our Application API docs to learn how to modify your application through our APIs.
- Click on
Createto save your application.
Assign a Plivo number to your app
- Navigate to the Numbers page and select the phone number you want to use for this app.
Receive SMS(name of the app) from the Plivo App dropdown list.
- Click on
If you don’t have a number, go to the Buy Number page to purchase a Plivo phone number.
Test it out
Send an SMS to your Plivo number using a regular mobile phone. Plivo will send a request to your