What is a Sender ID?
Sender ID is the alpha name or alphanumeric name or number that appears on a mobile phone as the sender of an SMS. It identifies who sent a message to the recipient. A Sender ID can be a number, such as a mobile phone number, or an alphanumeric term such as PLIVO or PLVSMS.
How is a Sender ID useful?
A Sender ID uniquely identifies your business and helps customers remember your brand.
Why is registration required?
Some countries require that you register your Sender ID. These countries have a restriction that only allows A2P messaging registered with network operators. Likewise, registering your Sender ID in advance increases the delivery rate of your messages and reduces the chances of getting blocked by carriers.
Check the list of countries that support Sender ID by clicking here.
What is the process of registering a Sender ID?
In order to register a Sender ID, you must submit the following details:
- The Sender ID you wish to use
- An explanation of the use case for the Sender ID
- Destination countries for which you need this Sender ID
- Your company/business name
- Sample message content
- Your company/business website
- Sender ID expansion. For instance, PLVSMS for PLIVO SMS
Once all these details are shared with Plivo Support, we will get in touch with carriers in the destination countries and work to register the required Sender ID. It takes approximately 10-15 business days for the registration to be completed.
What are the prerequisites/restrictions to register a Sender ID?
- You must have a Plivo standard account in good standing. This service is not available to customers on a free trial account.
- The Sender ID is between 6-11 characters, depending on the destination.
- The Sender ID cannot contain spaces or hyphens.
- The Sender ID cannot be registered for promotional messages.
Will there be any additional charges to get the Sender ID registered?
Yes, there might be additional charges to get a Sender ID registered.
If you wish to register a Sender ID, please open a ticket with Plivo Support using the ticketing portal: https://support.plivo.com/support/home
Once a Sender ID is registered to your account, read our Sender ID documentation for help setting up this feature.