The short code HELP and STOP messages are lines of text that tells users how to get help related to an SMS campaign or how to stop or unsubscribe from the campaign. This message is a requirement and must be included in all SMS campaigns using US short codes.
HELP message text
Help messages must contain either a support email address or a phone number, the message frequency, and advance notice of any charges.
STOP message text
Stop messages must include some type of helpful information in addition to confirming the opt-out.
An example of a properly formatted STOP message: “You have been opted out and will receive no more messages from Farm League Baseball Sports service. flb.com/help or 800-888-8888.”
Required synonyms include: STOP ALL, END, QUIT, CANCEL, UNSUB, and UNSUBSCRIBE
Plivo will work with you to help achieve compliance with help and stop messages. Note that in addition to HELP and STOP messages, all short code messages need to state the following:
- “Message and data rates may apply”
- The specific expected message frequency the user will receive — for example, “1 message/day”, “5 messages/month”, “1 message/user request”)
- “Text HELP to [your short code number] for help.” (note that HELP must appear in bold)
- “Text STOP to [your short code number] to cancel.” (note that STOP must appear in bold)
- URL of the SMS terms of service
Please note that Plivo does not control carrier regulations and is not in a position to interpret any laws, rules, or regulations. Plivo will work with you and the carrier to help you become compliant. However, you should seek legal counsel to clarify laws and regulations as they apply to your company’s specific practices. Each carrier reserves the right to suspend short code service for any user at any time.